|Schools are required to notify parents of homeless children (and unaccompanied youth) of the following rights:
· The availability of a local district staff person as a liaison for homeless children.
· Immediate enrollment and school participation, even if educational and medical records and proof of residency are not available.
· The availability of educational opportunities and related opportunities for homeless students (preschool to age 21), including unaccompanied youth.
· Enrollment and transportation rights, including transportation to the school of origin. “School of origin” is defined as the school the child attended when permanently housed or when last enrolled.
· Written explanation of why a homeless child is placed other than in a school of origin or school requested by the parent, with the right to appeal within the local dispute resolution process.
· Meaningful opportunities for parents to participate in the education of their children.
McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison: